With snow covered mountains, beautiful views and alluring greenery, Shimla is one quintessential getaway in summers and winters, alike. It is considered as one of the most sought after hill stations in Himachal Pradesh, and is blessed with Victorian architecture. Apart from the reminiscent of the colonial era, Shimla is said to be a hub for street shopping. One can also experience cultural highlights and indulge in various adventurous activities at this hill retreat. Following are the few experiences that you must not miss if you are planning a trip to Shimla.
- Toy train ride from Kalka to Shimla: This is indeed one of the best things to do in Shimla. Chugging through the narrow mountain track, the toy train takes you through the gorgeous and the most scenic views of the hills. It is a six hours ride from Kalka, but definitely worth experiencing once in a lifetime. Also, you need to book your tickets 3 months in advance as the seats are limited and fill up really quick.
- Shopping at Lakkar Bazar: This bazar is unlike any bazar you have seen in your city. The beauty of the Lakkar Bazar becomes more prominent when the sun reaches the horizon. The long stretch of shops selling the finest wooden artefacts grab every tourist’s attention. You can also pick up some of the amazing winter wears at quite reasonable prices from here.
- Ice skating: Proudly owning the title of having Asia’s only open-air ice skating rink, Shimla attracts throngs of people every year to give them the best ice skating experience. You too head to this rink to make your visit to Shimla even more worthwhile.
- Nature walk through pine forests: Whether you are heading to Shimla with your friends or family, do not miss out a chance to go on a nature walk through the forests surrounding Shimla. Some of the popular short treks here will lead you to the Glen, the Prospect Hill, the Summer Hill and the Kamna Devi Temple.
- A walk through the Mall Road: If you are staying at one of the hotels at Mall Road in Shimla then that’s icing on the cake, for you get to roam at Mall Road any time of the day. Others too can do that but then there’s a hassle of getting on to the lift and reaching the Mall Road. Nevertheless, you are going to have an amazing time in Shimla.
So what are you waiting for? Pack your bags, book your hotel in Shimla and get ready to have the most exciting time of your life.